Wizard, Lv 12
Archmage, Tier 3
Carbry is an older man, perhaps mid to late forties. He's far from the bookish wizard, though; he looks more like Nicholas Cage in The Sorcerer's Apprentice, though with a more angular face. He sports a scruffy van Dyke and long hair. He's usually darkly tanned and has scars on his face and arms from various battles. If you had to describe him in a word, your first impulse might be "intense."
|Hair||Dark brown, short, unruly, and streaked with grey|
|Armor Type||Weight||L/M/H||AC||Max DEX|
See Roll20 for details. Carbry is more a jack of all trades and master of none than a complete master in any one thing, though he has deep knowledge of arcana, religion, and spellcraft.
- Craft (Carpentry)
- Craft (Calligraphy)
- Craft (Jewelry)
- Decipher Script
- Knowledge (Arcana)
- Knowledge (Engineering)
- Knowledge (Dungeons)
- Knowledge (Geography)
- Knowledge (History)
- Knowledge (Nature)
- Knowledge (Religion)
- Sense Motive
Languages: Riersche (native), Kgosi (fluent), Aozdhiv (fluent), Mieran (moderate), orcish (moderate), Equaen (basic)
- Craft Single-Use Item
- Craft Charged Item3
- Craft Permanent Magical Item
- Empower Spell (+50% to all effect variables; +2 spell levels)
- Quicken Spell (cast as free action; +4 spell levels)
- Widen Spell (+50% area of effect; +3 spell levels)
- Maximize Spell (maximum variables; +3 spell levels)
- Quick Draw
- Improved Counterspell (any spell of that school)
- Spell Focus (evocation; +1 to DC for all evocation saves)
- Energy Substitution
- Spell Perfection (apply free metamagic to scorching ray up to 9th level)
- Mythic Spellcasting: can learn mythic spells
- Mythic Power: 3 + 2*tier uses/day (currently 9)
- Surge +1d6
- Hard to Kill: Automatically stabilizes at negative HP; survives until negative twice CON.
- Archmage Arcana (Mage Strike): Swift Action, expend 1 mythic power to make 1 melee attack (in addition to other attacks this round). Expend one spell to gain a bonus on the attack roll equal to 2x spell's level and deal 2d6/spell level energy damage (your choice of acid, cold, electric, or fire). Normal damage bypasses all DR, but energy damage is still affected by resistances and immunities.
- Enhance Magic Items: Add 1/2 tier to caster level of potions, scrolls, staves, and wands you use. When using staff or wand, can use mythic power instead of charge to activate the power.
- Spellbane Counterstrike: When you successfully counterspell, you can freely move up to your speed as part of the counterspell action as long as you end your move within melee range of the spellcaster. Your move from this action doesn't count toward your total move action this round. If the spellcasting would have drawn an AoO, you can make an AoO against the spellcaster.
- Spell Sieve: If you successfully counterspell an arcane spell that is on your spell list and of a level you can cast, you can absorb the countered spell's power and use it for your own purposes. On your next turn, you can cast that spell as a spell-like ability using your arcane spellcaster level as the caster level.
- Mythic Quick Draw: You can use Quick Draw to draw items of any kind, not just weapons, provided they are stored or concealed on your person. As a move action, you can expend one use of mythic power to retrieve up to two hidden items. You must have two hands free to do so.
- Masterwork staff, partial enchantments restored, holds 10 charges
- Staff +1
- Cast scorching ray for 1 charge
- Cast fireball for 2 charges
- Cast empowered fireball for 3 charges
- Cast energy substituted fireball for 3 charges
- Incorrect casting triggers empowered spontaneous immolation on wielder
- Eventually, Carbry plans on restoring the staff to what it once was, a staff similar to a Staff of Power but with energy-substitution metamagic baked in. It also had a slightly different power set (different spell list) and didn't have the smite power, instead having a 1/day no-charges-consumed true strike. It cost a bit more than a Staff of Power due to these changes.
- Wand of Rage (lv 2; 1 creature w/in close range; target rages like lv 3 barbarian for 3 + adjusted Con mod rounds) (7 charges)
- Wand of Drunkenness (lv 2; 1 creature in close range; Fort negates; 10 min/lv; loses 2 pts Dex, Int, Wis and may fall unconscious; acts inebriated for duration). (20 charges)
- Wand of Improved Invisibility - Dharven stone wand with metallic inlay (Improved Invisibility, 2 charges remaining )
- Small Wizard's Library (his non-destroyed books)
- Handy Crafting-sack (like a Handy Haversack that produces most simple tools upon request - used to support Craft checks)
- Heirloom sapphire and silver ring worth 631 gp
See Roll20 for what spells he has memorized at any given time. He tends to favor evocation spells, though he doesn't go in fully loaded for bear unless away from "civilization."
Carbry has an extensive collection of spells built up over 35 years of study. He had even acquired some other spellbooks over the years containing spells he could not yet learn at the time. He has studied most of these, though some are still beyond his reach.
Bonus spells: 0/3/2/2/2/2/1/1/1/1
Total spells: 4/7/6/6/5/5/3
- Level 0
- Essentially all common cantrips
- Level 1
- Burning Disarm
- Burning Hands
- Color Spray
- Corrosive Touch
- Ear-Piercing Scream
- Endure Elements
- Expeditious Retreat
- Flare Burst
- Floating Disk
- Hold Portal
- Mage Armor
- Mythic Mage Armor - Learned from Maleos Taylan in group study session
- Magic Aura
- Magic Missile
- Obscuring Mist
- Ray of Enfeeblement
- Shock Shield
- Shocking Grasp
- Silent Image
- Unseen Servant
- Youthful Appearance
- Level 2
- Admonishing Ray - commonly memorized in civilization to deal with thieves, etc.
- Arcane Lock
- Alter Self
- Bear's Endurance
- Book Ward
- Bull's Strength
- Burning Gaze
- Cat's Grace
- Continual Flame
- Defensive Shock
- Eagle's Splendor
- Elemental Touch
- Fox's Cunning
- Fog Cloud
- Gust of Wind
- Hypnotic Pattern
- Mythic Invisibility - learned from Maleos Taylan in group study session
- Magic Mouth
- Minor Image
- Mirror Image
- Owl's Wisdom
- Protection from Arrows
- Scorching Ray
- Mythic Scorching Ray - Learned during recovery after Maelstrom Caverns exploration.
- See Invisibility
- Skill Sharing - learned from Maleos Taylan in group study session
- Spontaneous Immolation
- Touch of Idiocy
- Level 3
- Air Geyser
- Arcane Sight
- Battering Blast
- Diamond Spray
- Dispel Magic
- Explosive Runes
- Mythic Fly - learned while recovering from exploring the Maelstrom Caverns.
- Force Punch
- Mythic Heroism - learned from Maleos Taylan in group study session
- Illusory Script
- Major Image
- Sheet Lightning
- Strangling Hair
- Tiny Hut
- Wall of Water
- Water Breathing
- Water Blast
- Level 4
- Arcane Eye
- Ball Lightning
- Beast Shape II
- Dimension Door
- Dimensional Anchor - learned from Maleos Taylan in group study session
- Fire Shield
- Mythic Fire Shield - learned while recovering from exploring the Maelstrom Caverns.
- Ghost Wolf
- Greater Invisibility
- Mythic Greater Invisibility - learned from Maleos Taylan in group study session
- Hurricane Blast
- Ice Storm
- Lesser Globe of Invulnerability - learned from Maleos Taylan in group study session
- Rainbow Pattern
- River of Wind
- Share Senses
- Stone Shape
- Telekinetic Charge
- Wall of Fire
- Wall of Ice
- Volcanic Storm
- Level 5
- Level 6
- Level 7
The oldest member of the party, he would have been 49 (almost 50) as of Swamp Things.
Carby is exceedingly private about his personal life, even with his closest friends. Out of the entire party, only Salvatrix knew that he was gay, and even with her he barely spoke about his love life. Intense, charismatic, and confident, he did have a marginally active love life when the party stayed a while in a town.
Carbry was never interested in long term relationships of any sort. He told himself that this wasn't just because he was selfish; he was merely too interested in his work and his exploration to saddle someone with that life. This may even have been (at least partially) true.
Carbry can have an intense single-mindedness. When he focuses on something, he focuses 100% of his attention on it, which can be intimidating. He can seem to be aloof in conversation, but if you manage to wander onto a subject in which he is interested, his laser focus will lock on and he will siphon every last bit of knowledge you're willing to share out of you.
- Loves and relies on splashy and intense spells, particularly evocations. His spells reflect his flashy, intense personality.
- Loves wands. He likes to keep a short bandolier or similar of wands, particularly ones he's enhanced with metamagic. Then he can quick-draw wands he likes and use them for the duration of a battle. He particularly likes wands of widened sheet lightning for the initial stages of a confrontation.
- Carbry speaks slowly because he's so often lost in thought or up inside his own head. Maybe a bit of Colossus in his personality in terms of "fatherlyness."
- Carbry had a bit of a closer relationship to Klementyna than others, and that wasn't always appreciated by her because he could be a bit "fatherly" in ways that try to rein her in. It was never enough to cause a falling out, but it could cause some tension for a time. It was always driven by Carbry worrying about Klementyna getting herself into trouble and Klementyna thinking that Carbry should keep his nose out of her life choices.
- Carbry is a big reader, and he may have even had some precious story-books (religious or otherwise) that he either kept in storage or brought along. He may have read or told some of these stories to the party, and Salvatrix and Khalil eventually memorized them and began to tell them with him, embellishing in places and kind of putting on shows for people when they would come into town.
- His life goal was to gain reknown as a master enchanter. His first step on this path was the creation of his staff, which was a custom enchantment that allowed him to use it in three different way with the same command word depending upon how he held it. A fourth enchantment on it acted as a safeguard, shocking the wielder with non-lethal damage if the command word was spoken while the staff was held incorrectly.