Yes, yes, this whole thing was inspired by watching Heroes and thinking, "This might go better as an RPG, actually."
For the time being, we'll assume we're going to try this out using the FAST system rather than trying to find one of the existing superheroes RPGs or converting another RPG. The mechanics of powers haven't been fully determined yet.
Though FAST is pretty simple, I am thinking about tweaking the basic FAST rules slightly. Any house rules are listed here.
Create characters with 60 character creation points. There are some additional caveats, though. Attribute spending is capped at 25 points, and you can only start with one 5-point power.
What Kinds of Powers?
Can steal a lot of these directly from Heroes:
- Telepathy (both mind-reading and projecting thoughts
- Super-ability (e.g., speed, strength, flexibility, etc)
- Massive cellular regeneration
- Precognition (via various channels - painting, dreams, etc.)
- Ability to manipulate machines
- Ability to heal others
- Ability to phase through matter
- Magnetism Mastery
- Superior Senses (sight, sound, touch, smell, taste heightened, and/or other abilities - see infrared, smell magnetic fields, etc.)
- Astral Projection
- Weather Control (this would likely include some degree of hydro, tele, and electrokinesis)
- Ability to control animals (maybe a subset of telepathy)
- Psychometry (psychic impressions from objects - maybe a subset of precognition)
- Ability to control biological functions (in self and/or others)
There are also some powers in that show that might not be good for PCs (might be unbalancing).
- Time travel
- Ability to absorb others' powers (either via proximity, a la Peter Petrelli; via contact, a la Rogue; etc.)
- Control of nuclear reactions (This might also be too powerful for a PC.)
That other wiki also has an excellent List of superhuman features and abilities in fiction.